GLUTEN FREE VEGAN STUFFED VINE LEAVES (DOLMA)
This is such a gorgeous recipe, passed down from my family but I added some twists to it to make it meat free yet very nutrient dense and high in protein. Stuffed with delicious ingredients and spices, great as a mezze or side dish! YUM!!! Great for summer or winter as it can be eaten hot / cold.
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 30-40 Minutes
(Measurements not listed: depends on the size of leaves and quantity made) as its vegan you can taste test the mixture before wrapping it.
- Dried or fresh vine leaves (any size is fine)
- Pine nuts
- Onion and garlic
- Salt, pepper, turmeric
- Fresh dill, coriander, parsley
- Semi-cooked Brown rice
- Olive oil
- If the vine leaves have been frozen or dried then rehydrate them in boiling water until soft (3 minutes), remove the hard end of the stem with a sharp knife before wrapping.
- Pan fry the pine nuts until slightly golden brown (no oil to be added)
- Crush the pine nuts down into a crumbly consistency using a pestle and mortar or a tea towel and a rolling pin.
- Peel and grate the eggplant, add a pinch of salt to avoid browning
- Dice all of the greens, onion and garlic
- Mix all the filling together well with the seasonings, crushed pine nuts and semi-cooked rice
- Place the leaf into the palm of your hand and add a small amount of the mixture into the leaf and wrap well
- Into a saucepan place some olive oil just to cover the bottom
- Layer all the leaves into the pan and cover with a small amount of water (allowing it to steam)
- Cover the leaves with heat proof plate and place upside down then cover with a lid
- Leave it to simmer for 30-40 minutes; keeping the heat on low
- Check half way through to make sure the water has not completely evaporated
- If so then add a little bit more water and oil
- DONE! serve and devour as you wish!