Healthy Creamy Split Pea Soup
As the weather gets a little colder, I love having a hot bowl full of deliciousness and goodness. Full of nutrients, high in protein and in B vitamins which vegans will appreciate! There is no need for any animal products or flour fillers, it's all natural! I'm sure you will love this creamy and warming soup which is also blood sugar friendly and full of healthy fats! -Make a large batch and reheat when needed.
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 35-40 Minutes
Ready in: 45 minutes
Ingredients: (made 4 soup sized bowls)
As always adjust spices to your taste.
- 150 grams Yellow Split peas
- 100ml Coconut cream
- 2 Sweet Potatoes or yams
- 200ml boiling water
- 1 Leek, 3 Garlic cloves
- 1 Cube of organic vegetable stock
- 1 Tsp Pure curry powder*
- Himalayan Salt, black Pepper
- 1.5 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- Coconut oil (for sautéing)
- Edamame beans, olive oil, dried sea kelp, chili flakes (topping)
- Wash and roughly dice the sweet potatoes, leek and garlic
- Sauté in coconut oil till golden brown
- Wash the split peas till the water runs clear, no need for any soaking!
- Dissolve the stock cube first then simply add in all the remaining ingredients (except the nutritional yeast and toppings) into the large pot on medium high heat and cover
- Stir and check through after 15 minutes and add more water if needed as the split peas do swell
- Once soft, take your hand blender (metal one) and gently blend inside the pot till its roughly smooth (you can turn the heat on low or off for this step)
- Keep the heat on low for another 10-15 minutes, add in the nutritional yeast, stir and serve, Garnish with the toppings.
*the only reason I write pure curry powder is that most of the cheaper options have wheat flour or E-numbers added into them as a filler, there is no need for this, so spend a little more to get the best quality possible as these spices can benefit your health greatly.